Are you looking for a unique dessert that looks much harder than it really is? These easy poached pairs with honey mascarpone cream are your answer! These easy poached pears make a fantastic, elegant dessert
Easy Poached Pears
Poached pears really are a simple dessert. The trick is to start with a slightly under ripe pear so they don’t turn completely to mush while cooking.
What makes these poached pairs so special is poaching them in sweet white wine. If you would like to avoid the wine, a white grape juice is also a wonderful idea.
They really only need to simmer for 20-25 minutes, they don’t take nearly as long as you would think.
Another great component of this dessert is the Honey Mascarpone Cream. Simply combine mascarpone, half and half, honey, and your favorite citrus zest in a bowl and whip with beaters or a stand mixer until it is light and airy.
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
- Poached Pears Ingredients:
- 3 c. Riesling or other sweet white whine
- 1/3 c. honey
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 2 t. whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 6 firm pears peeled
- dash ground cinnamon for garnish
- Honey Mascarpone Cream Ingredients:
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese softened to room temperature
- 3 T. half & half
- 3 T. runny honey
- 2 t. pure vanilla extract
- 2 t. organic orange zest
- Combine white wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise in a large skillet with high sides. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the honey is melted and the spices become fragrant, approximately 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, halve the pears and carefully remove the seeds with the tip of a potato peeler or small spoon.
- Carefully add the pears to the simmering poaching liquid. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the pears are tender. Do not overcook.
- While the pears are poaching, place the softened mascarpone cheese and half & half in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip until light and airy. (If you don’t have a stand mixer, use a hand-held mixer to blend).
- Add the honey, vanilla extract, and orange zest and whip until combined. Place in the fridge to chill before serving.
- Remove pears from heat and cool slightly. Serve immediately with a spoonful of the honey mascarpone cream and a dash of cinnamon. Top with a drizzle of the poaching liquid, if desired. Enjoy!